Support the Climate Strike!
The BFAWU urges its members to get involved, if you want a planet fit for your children and Grandchildren we need to take action now.
The last few months and weeks have been amazing. The global movement of school climate strikes and the inspiring actions of Extinction Rebellion have shifted the debate on climate change injecting a new urgency.
The first success of this growing movement has been to force the UK parliament to declare a Climate Emergency. Now we need the action to match the words.
Greta Thunberg has called for a general strike urging others join student striking for climate action. Many trade unionists across the trade union movement have been inspired by the action taken in the last few months by young people determined to defend their future. Now, as trade unionists, let’s stand in solidarity and add our voice to the call for climate action.
Let’s start by building solidarity with the school climate strike on May 24th. Can you…
- Bring your trade union banner on the Youth Strike 4 Climate protest on Friday 24 May at 11am in Parliament Square in London? Can you get to local demonstrations across Britain (list here)?
- Take a solidarity photo in your work place with the signs above, showing trade unions stand with students and tweet it? Use hashtags #GlobalStrike4Climate and #TradeUnions4Climate
- Organise a trade union meeting on the day to discuss the Climate Emergency and what your union is doing to respond?
- Pass a motion of solidarity in your union/branch? [download Word doc]
- Share with us at CACC trade union group and others ideas about what we can do to stand in solidarity students in solidarity?
Pledges of practical action might include:
- Joining or supporting a local action against a climate-damaging project such as airport expansion, fracking or coal mining and many others
- A demand to employer(s) to green the workplace (ITUC day of action 26 June)
- Taking climate jobs or Green New Deal motions to your branch, trades council, CLP
Let’s mobilise across the whole of the trade union movement- to put a million climate jobs and a national climate service to deliver a Green New Deal at the heart of the urgent action we need to tackle the climate emergency.
National Facebook event – invite your friends
Download A3 signs (white background / blue background)
National Education Union votes to stand in solidarity with youth strikers
Teachers call for a just transition, for climate change to be integrated into the curriculum, and to oppose reprisals for strikers.
Members of UCU pledge solidarity with youth strikes
NEC and members across universities and colleges pledge support
Friday, May 24, 2019 – 11:00 to 14:00
film from 15 March strike
Bakers’, Food & Allied Workers Union