Climate change is a trade union issue because workplaces burn energy, consume resources and generate waste and travel. So, for trade unions:
• Any move to a low-carbon economy has significant implications for jobs.
• There are considerable economic consequences.
• It is linked to union policies on issues like international development.
• It has implications for the working environment.
• It has implications for the overall quality of life.
Collective and strategic responses require trade union involvement. The evidence indicates that
many employers are doing very little. Some will have a policy but there is often a failure to implement them. Unions have a pivotal role in:
• providing staff input to environment policies
• monitoring the effectiveness of policies
• obtaining staff support for effective workplace measures.
We have a dedicated Facebook page which can be found here or by searching @BFAWUGreenStuff
Our greener future twitter handle is; @BfawuS or search BFAWU Greener Future
For more information please email Green@bfawu.org